This blog post is mostly for people not familiar with this subject and wanting to optimize their web presence.
First, the basis: What is organic SEO?
Organic SEO focusses on a long term strategy.
Wikipedia defines it by saying that organic SEO is a way that a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users, and these visitors can be converted into customers. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
On the other end, we find SEM (Search Engine Marketing). Where, for example, you will pay in order to be ranking first on Google. This approach is effective on short-terms but needs to be maintained if you don’t want to lose visits.
A strategy to be taken in consideration
You need to think SEO when building your website. The strategy you will use does not have to be complex and you won’t need to put a lot of money to get a good ranking.
The structure of your website and its content are key factors for optimal SEO. Along a similar vein, here’s a few tips to take in consideration when working on your SEO:
- Make sure to have many external links of quality on your website
For example, renowned website talking about your site. You can also mention your website on social medias. But beware of excess advertising…
- Optimize your content integration (Titles / Descriptions / Tags…)
- Use alternative texts for your images
Google can’t get information from an image. By adding a description to it on your website, you will give search engines the significant additional information.
- Use the right keywords for your hyperlinks
- Try NOT to use ineffective terms like “Click here…”
- Use relevant keywords
- Make sure your pages are loading quickly
Google is not fond of long pages to download
- Post quality articles or get a blog
- Write contents keeping in mind words that users could search to reach you
- Don’t be afraid to add or edit your content frequently
- Be present on social medias (Facebook / Twitter / Google + …)
- Promote sharing of your content
Here’s an example: button “Share this post on Facebook”
- Make sure your hosting has good reputation
- Subscribe your website to search engines
- Add a sitemap to your website
- Use Google Analytics tools to analyze your traffic
Keep in mind that working on your SEO is lengthy. You need to be proactive to stand out, especially in popular activity areas.
Good to know
Many people will work mainly on their Google SEO. There is many other search engines, such as Ping, Yahoo or AOL. While prioritizing SEM, your will optimize your web presence only on Google. By working on your organic SEO, you will find a better impact on other search engines, which is not to neglect.
In conclusion, it is important to say that SEO and SEM are complementary. By combining these two techniques your get significant results. But organic SEO is the simple and effective long-term solution.